44/8

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Fri Jul 19 15:06:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:54 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> As stated before, ARIN did receive and process a request from the 44/8
> registrant to transfer a portion of the block to another party.
>
> For all transfer requests, we review and confirm:
>
> - That the source of the transfer is the legal entity which holds the
> rights to the address block in the registry
> - That the transfer is authorized by an registered officer of that legal
> entity
> - That the recipient org has approval per policy to receive an address
> block of the appropriate size
>
> You may have other questions that are better referred to the registrant
> (Amateur Radio Digital Communications); e.g. regarding why the request was
> made –
> I will note that the contact information for the block is current in the
> Whois database, and available at <
> https://search.arin.net/rdap/?query=44.0.0.0>

Hey John,
I think perhaps the relevant questions for ARIN here are:

1> How did the organization currently holding the rights to the 44/8 block
come to hold those rights, and how did ARIN verify that it held those
rights?
2> Did ARIN ensure that the establishment of an ARIN RSA for the 44/8 block
did not violate any prior agreements related to the stewardship of the 44/8
block? If so, how was this done?
3> What were the terms under which the rights to the 44/8 block was held by
said organization prior to the establishment of an ARIN RSA?
4> When was an ARIN RSA established which covered the 44/8 block?

The bigger question here is how we got to the point where an organization
with virtually no transparency came to hold the legal rights to a community
asset without any sort of oversight or contractual obligations with regard
to management of said resource. Ultimately that means figuring out if the
legacy agreements by which 44/8 was held by the organization did indeed
include encumberences on the sale or transfer of the space (which would
make sense, if I am giving stewardship of a large community asset to an
organization, I'm going to include stipulations about what they can't do
with it, and selling it to a for-profit entity for cash is going to be #1
on that list.)

Thanks,
Matt