44/8

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Fri Jul 19 14:57:10 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:38 AM Brielle <bruns at 2mbit.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 19, 2019, at 6:03 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> > Be specific in your report regarding what change you believe was in
> error and why – we investigate all such reports and will correct any
> changes made in error.
>
> Actually, I’d love to hear an official statement from ARIN about the state
> of this transfer - it’s legitimacy, ARINs involvement with it, who approved
> of the transfer (if any) etc.

That would be an interesting read.

> Was ARIN not involved?  If not, why not?  44/8 isn’t like a normal
> assignment.  It’s a legacy assignment likely with stipulations from when it
> was originally assigned to the HAM group(s).

So my understanding based on what Job has said in this thread, without
looking myself, is that it seems as though 44/8 was brought under an ARIN
RSA either as part of this deal or as a pre-requisite to this deal
happening. Hence it's no longer "legacy" space that isn't covered by an RIR
RSA but is instead now covered by an ARIN RSA.

This is interesting because amateur radio is a global (and beyond - the
folks on the ISS participate!) pursuit, one which is officially sanctioned
by almost every national government in the world, and which has
international involvement overseen by the ITU (
https://life.itu.int/radioclub/ars.htm).

A /8 is an exceptionally large IPv4 block, and governance thereof, when
held in trust for the benefit of a greater community, should always be
transparent. At the very least, we must admit that there was a tremendous
failure of transparency here.

- Matt (K1RIN)