44/8

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Fri Jul 19 13:33:54 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:45 PM William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:

> Then we can decide, openly and transparently, if, for example, some piece
> of
> 44/8 should be returned to IANA for allocation to the RIRs.

This sounds like the more correct answer with regard to what should be done
with space that isn't and is probably never going to be used that is
allocated to a community organization.

After reading the analogy above regarding spectrum space, I shudder to
think what the community response would be if the FCC were to tacitly allow
the ARRL to receive several million (or billion in this case) dollars from,
say, Verizon in exchange for some part of our exclusive amateur bands.
Indeed the ARRL has a fund (the "Spectrum Defense Fund") with the purpose
of employing lawyers and public policy folks to help prevent our community
resources from shrinking out from under us.

73's - K1RIN