Multi-day GNSS Galileo outage -- Civilization survives

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jul 19 05:30:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019, Sean Donelan wrote:

> So much for the disaster scenarioes about a global clamity, planes falling
> out the sky, the end of civil society because a global navigation satellite
> system fails.  The European Galileo GNSS was down for days, and life went on.

It wasn't even in full production, and I am not aware of much equipment
that solely relies on Galileo.

A lot of devices today can use multiple GNSS and this is great, as this
incident shows that one of them can go offline. Relying on only one of
them is risky.

This outage and its lack of ramifications doesn't imply that if GPS went
offline there woulnd't be consequences. Galileo is just a few years old,
and wasn't even in production. If GPS would go offline, you'd see a lot
different fallout. Lots of things rely on GPS solely.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se