SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Jul 18 22:33:10 UTC 2019

On 7/18/19 3:15 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

I still think this would be much easier to solve in the Internet domain
instead of in the PSTN domain. That is, use SIP From: address instead of
telephone numbers. We already have the ability to give with reasonable
certainty that a message has been originated by a given domain. If we
present that address in preference to caller ID, and I can filter based
on that it puts a lot of positive pressure on legit callers to identify
themselves (they already do it for their email), and negative pressure
on the callerid holdouts. They'd have to use their own domain name and
prove their control of it, and that's a good thing. You'd think this
would be easier for the carriers too since they wouldn't have to vet
shady clients... it's their domain they're trashing, not the carriers.

I for one would be perfectly happy with a UA that went straight to a
quarantine if it only had callerid in it.

Mike