Antennas in the data center

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Thu Jul 18 13:35:28 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 8:30 AM Robert Webb <rwfireguru at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I have a situation where I am trying to get LTE to an out of band
> router and there is no signal available in the data center. There was a
> booster setup purchased and I have a manager telling me that standards,
> industry and not local, prohibit the installation.
>
> He has yet to produce any documented industry standard so I thought I
> would reach out to see if anyone here has heard of this.
>
> We fall under NIST controls and I haven't found anything there and have
> also looked at TIA and not found anything.

I've never heard of any industry standard preventing such a thing. There
are a few questions this raises though. The first and most obvious being,
are you sure that a "booster setup" will actually help? Have you done a
site survey to figure out how to actually accomplish what you need to
accomplish? The other question is whether perhaps the issue he has is with
the specific "booster setup" chosen. Perhaps there's something naughty
about it, in particular, that has caused him to not want it in his facility
(cheap Chinese radios are known, for example, for polluting the spectrum
outside of the frequencies that they are designed to operate within.) Maybe
he has other folks doing legit RF stuff in there and doesn't want to risk
that pollution?