Performance metrics used in commercial BGP route optimizers

Nikolas Geyer nik at neko.id.au
Wed Jul 17 22:16:07 UTC 2019

You can achieve performance based routing using latency/jitter and partial blackhole detection as your metrics without resorting to prefix splitting - adjust local preferences on received routes, don’t install received routes, add static routes, change MPLS label if doing EPE etc. I see very few, if any, use cases for prefix splitting that could not be accommodated for via other mechanisms that do not leave a network in a “locked and loaded” dangerous state.

But it’s a free world and market economy (at least in the NA part of NANOG) so people will use this stuff unfortunately. But take a look at the Twitter link Job supplied earlier where a vendor confirmed they are insecure mode of operation by default. Why??? Being good corporate citizens the model should be secure by default and you can remove the safety if you know what you’re doing (ideally you couldn’t remove the safety at all, but see above comment around free market). Handing people software with the safety removed and assuming they won’t pull the trigger is reckless business conduct IMO. But at the end of the day, it’s all about the almighty dollar and if a customer can be gained where the path is resistance is less giving them an insecure product by default, typically because the customer doesn’t have the technical knowledge to understand what they’re actually doing, then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone