Performance metrics used in commercial BGP route optimizers

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 00:41:29 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 5:22 PM Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> Oh I don't know about that.  There's been a pile of high profile
> incidents which have been associated with "BGP optimisers", affecting
> connectivity to huge chunks of the internet, world-wide.

How many, exactly and with a pointer/reference, have been 'not an optimizer' ?
I almost made the same post as Mr Hammett ~4 messages (his messages)
back made: "Err, all of these problems are possible without an
optimizer", except I don't really believe that it's helpful:

 "All my friends failed out, but I just got D's..."

isn't really selling this as a great plan.
I suppose if your (not nick's) story is:
   "Well, I know what I'm doing, my upstreams filter me, I'd NEVER leak..."

ok, but really no, not ok... someone 'not you' will eventually operate
part of your network and fail where you hadn't.

-chris