Performance metrics used in commercial BGP route optimizers

Töma Gavrichenkov ximaera at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 18:35:18 UTC 2019

Peace,

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019, 9:24 PM Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:

> BGP optimizers only harm the global Internet when route filters don't do
> their job. (Un)Fortunately, many other things also harm the global Internet
> when route filters don't do their job.

That is correct; however, there are potentially harmful things that cannot
easily be avoided (so we accept the risk), and optimizers are not among
those.

E.g. there are quite a number of things which could cause an airplane to
crash yet are still allowed onboard; but this alone isn't an argument
convincing enough to allow handguns there.

--
Töma