Performance metrics used in commercial BGP route optimizers

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Jul 16 18:24:11 UTC 2019

All of the same tragedy can happen without BGP optimizers, and does.

BGP optimizers only harm the global Internet when route filters don't do their job. (Un)Fortunately, many other things also harm the global Internet when route filters don't do their job. Things other than BGP optimizers harm the global Internet more frequently via the same vector (lack of proper route filters).

A given set of bugs are unlikely to affect both Optimizer edge egress filters and upstream ingress filters. If so, the Internet as a whole has much graver things to worry about.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange