Performance metrics used in commercial BGP route optimizers

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Tue Jul 16 18:18:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 6:10 PM Ryan Hamel <Ryan.Hamel at quadranet.com> wrote:

> Nowhere near the number as an engineer fat fingering a route.

How are you able to make that assertion?

> There are ISPs that accept routes all the way to /32 or /128, for traffic engineering with ease, and/or RTBH.

This strikes me as a bit of a red herring. Aren't the damaging effects
of "BGP optimisers" *amplified* (not caused!) by ISPs who accept "all
routes"? An ISP accepting incorrect routing information still is a
step below entities actively generating and distributing incorrect
routing information.

Kind regards,

Job