Colo in Africa

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jul 16 17:23:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 10:39:59 -0600, Ken Gilmour said:

> These are actual real problems we face. thousands of customers load and
> reload TBs of data every few seconds on their dashboards.

If they're reloading TBs of data every few seconds, you really should have been
doing summaries during data ingestion and only reloading the summaries.
(Overlooking the fact that for dashboards, refreshing every few seconds is
usually pointless because you end up looking at short-term statistical spikes
rather than anything that you can react to at human speeds.  If you *care* in
real time that the number of probes on a port spiked to 457% of average for 2
seconds you need to be doing automated responses....

Custom queries are more painful - but those don't happen "every few seconds".