Colo in Africa

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jul 16 17:05:00 UTC 2019

On 16/Jul/19 17:28, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> Isn't the OP really asking here (not to have their selection of
> platform wrangled..):
>   "Where should I target my search: ZA only? is there anywhere else
> worth dropping my request?"

The easiest regions will be East (Kenya) and South (South Africa).

> and:
>   "Are there likely providers of solid colo aside from
> seacom/tinka-net or workonline/ben-net ?"

SEACOM and Workonline just do network.

For co-lo, we have solid operators in East and South:

  * Teraco - https://www.teraco.co.za/ - who will give you excellent
    co-lo in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
  * iColo - https://www.icolo.io/ - who will give you excellent co-lo in
    Mombasa. Nairobi is due to open by September this year.
  * Raxio - https://www.raxio.co.ug/ - who will give you excellent co-lo
    in Kampala. Door open in December this year.

Teraco run NAPAfrica, which is Africa's largest exchange point by
traffic switched - https://www.napafrica.net/. They also have instances
of the INX-ZA exchange points, which are JINX (Johannesburg), DINX
(Durban) and CINX (Cape Town).

iColo will be deploying an instance of KIXP (Kenya IXP) -
https://www.tespok.co.ke/?page_id=11648 - and Asteroid -
https://www.asteroidhq.com/.

Raxio will also host an instance of the UIXP - https://www.uixp.co.ug/.

From a network standpoint, you have a few options:

  * SEACOM - AS37100
  * Workonline - AS37271
  * Liquid - AS30844
  * WIOCC - AS37662

These are the main network operators that run a good deal of network
between Europe, Eastern Africa, Southern Africa and parts of Asia-Pac.

Hope this helps.

Mark.