SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Jul 11 20:47:29 UTC 2019

Chairman Pai issues statement at the conclusion of the SHAKEN/STIR
robocall summit.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-358430A1.pdf

WASHINGTON, July 11, 2019—Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit
Pai issued the following statement on today’s SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit
at the FCC:

“We must move aggressively to help consumers combat scam robocalls that
use and abuse caller ID spoofing, and that’s why we held today’s summit.
The summit was productive, and we received generally encouraging signs
that companies are headed toward full implementation of the SHAKEN/STIR
caller ID authentication framework. I was pleased to hear from voice
service providers, vendors, consumer advocates, and others about the
successes to date and the challenges that remain.

“Given what I heard today, I am optimistic that the major voice service
providers will meet the end-of-2019 deadline for implementation I set for
them. That said, we stand ready to take regulatory action if this deadline
is not met. We have already adopted a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and
will move quickly to mandate SHAKEN/STIR if needed.

“As I’ve said before and as panelists noted today, there is no silver
bullet to solving the problem of unwanted robocalls. But caller ID
authentication is an important part of the solution. And we will continue
to execute on the rest of our multi-pronged strategy as well. We have been
and will continue to do everything we can to protect American consumers
from this scourge.”