SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 19:03:52 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

> So I have a meta-question about all of this. Why in 2019 are we still
> using telephone numbers as the primary identifier? It's a pretty sip-py
> world these days, even on mobile phones with wifi calling, I assume. It
> seems like this problem would be more tractable if callerid was a last
> resort rather than a first resort.

yes! I bet that if you provided some form of 'identity' to the caller
and permitted the callee to verify that data upon call setup... you'd
get further along.
there could  even be an ecosystem of services which callees could
subscribe to in order to report reputation and have that be used to
influence call completions over time...

if only there were such systems in existence already... if only some
form of proof of concept existed?