Time and Timing Servers

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Thu Jul 11 14:54:26 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 09:29:46AM -0500, Mike Hammett wrote:
> There were a lot of NTP threads several weeks ago, but I didn't get an answer to my question amongst all of the other chatter.
>
> I'm looking for a device that can receive GPS inside a building without the
> assistance of an external antenna (Frontier says they no longer allow
> external antenna), will provide traditional NTP services, and will provide
> a timing signal that my Metaswitch can work with.

	Unfortunately, L band satellite signals are incredibly weak by
the time they reach the surface.  It's very unlikely this is going to
work for you (unless it's a wood framed single story building.)

	Generally, I try to ensure that a GNSS antenna is built into the
contract, to avoid games like this.

	You have two options:

	A) Find a new colocation provider.  This may already be on your
to-do list for other reasons.

	B) Rely on the Internet for timing, using NTP or PTP from
another location to backfeed the site, and use a box with a good
stable oscillator to keep time (this can actually be a commercial
time server with decent holdover characteristics.

	If you're just looking for alternatives to Microsemi, I highly
recommend talking to the fine folks at Meinberg.

	--msa