QoS for Office365

Paul Thornton paul at prt.org
Tue Jul 9 15:53:47 UTC 2019

On 09/07/2019 16:27, Jay Ford wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019, Mark Tinka wrote:
>> On 9/Jul/19 16:18, Ross Tajvar wrote:
>>> I think the difficulty lies in appropriately marking the traffic. Like
>>> Joe said, the IPs are always changing.
>>
>> Does anyone know if they are reasonably static in an Express Route
>> scenario?
>
> At least sometimes M$ says that Express Route is just for Azure, not for
> Orifice 365.  It's even possible that using Express Route for O365 could
> be worse due to undermining/bypassing some of the O365 availability
> mechanisms.

I've just been involved in turning up a new customer who ordered Express
Route specifically for O365 use - they have no Azure presence.

After much discussions between us, the customer and MS it transpired
that they (MS) really didn't want to support using Express Routes and
O365 - there had been many instances of routing problems and people not
really understanding what the end result was going to look like.
Apologies for being vague here, but I wasn't directly in the loop -
except to say that MS dissuaded the customer from this and told them to
just use their Internet connection instead.

The MS techs told us that this was their preferred option now.  A year
or two back, they wanted everyone to access O365 via Express Route...

Paul.