QoS for Office365

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Tue Jul 9 14:01:52 UTC 2019

> At a previous employer (AOL, doing VoIP for customer service / call
> centers, ~2004) we had a number of contractual agreements with
> multiple providers to honor our QoS markings -- as far as I could tell
> (marking test traffic under congestion events) only one of about seven
> did anything at all with the marking, and that wasn't enough to make
> any difference... I briefly toyed with the idea of asking for some
> money back / trying to enforce the terms of the agreements, but
> figured that there wasn't much point - expecting QoS to work in
> someone else's network based upon your markings seems like a fool's
> errand.

Generally speaking, I agree that making QoS features work consistently on
an external network you do not control is a fool's errand.

But if that language was inserted into the contracts, and you can
demonstrably prove it's not being done, enforcing contract terms should
always be done. Depending on the strength of the remedy, could have been a
lot of free service, enough financial incentive for them to MAKE it work
correctly, or leverage to open renegotiations for more favorable terms for
you.

You know that in reverse they would have done the same to you. :)