QoS for Office365

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Jul 8 22:35:58 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 5:50 PM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> On 8/Jul/19 21:03, Robert Webb wrote:
> > I took the OP's request as for doing QoS at the edge of their network
> > and not necessarily the entire path.
>
> Indeed, but even then, you could be handing off the traffic to a
> downstream customer, and can't guarantee what they do to those ToS fields.

I disagree -- you *can* guarantee what someone else will do with your
ToS fields....... they will A: ignore them and / or B: scribble all
over them.

At a previous employer (AOL, doing VoIP for customer service / call
centers, ~2004) we had a number of contractual agreements with
multiple providers to honor our QoS markings -- as far as I could tell
(marking test traffic under congestion events) only one of about seven
did anything at all with the marking, and that wasn't enough to make
any difference... I briefly toyed with the idea of asking for some
money back / trying to enforce the terms of the agreements, but
figured that there wasn't much point - expecting QoS to work in
someone else's network based upon your markings seems like a fool's
errand.

> > As another person stated, the real answer is to add more bandwidth if
> > you are having to QoS to Office365 because it is affecting other
> > internet based services.
>
> Yes and no.
>
> More bandwidth never hurt anyone, but packet loss in the remote network
> toward the cloud will hurt you.
>
> Mark.

idea in the first place.
of pants.