CloudFlare issues?

Matt Corallo nanog at as397444.net
Sat Jul 6 21:44:36 UTC 2019

On my test net I take ROA_INVALIDs and convert them to unreachables with
a low preference (ie so that any upstreams taking only the shorter path
will be selected, but so that such packets will never be routed).

Obviously this isn't a well-supported operation, but I'm curious what
people think of such an approach? If you really want to treat
ROA_INVALID as "this is probably a hijack", you don't really want to be
sending the hijacker traffic.

Of course if upstreams are rejecting ROA_INVALID you can still have the
same problem one network away, but its an interesting result for
testing, especially since it rejects a bunch of crap in China where CT
has reassigned prefixes with covering ROAs to customers who re-announce
on their own ASN (which appears to be common).

Matt