CloudFlare issues?

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Thu Jul 4 15:33:57 UTC 2019

Dear Francois,

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 03:22:23PM +0000, Francois Lecavalier wrote:
> Following that Verizon debacle I got onboard with ROV, after a couple
> research I stopped my choice on the ....drum roll.... CloudFlare GoRTR
> (https://github.com/cloudflare/gortr).  If you trust them enough they
> provide an updated JSON every 15 minutes of the global RIR aggregate.

At this point in time I think the ideal deployment model is to perform
the validation within your administrative domain and run your own
validators. You can combine routinator with gortr, or use cloudflare's
octorpki software https://github.com/cloudflare/cfrpki

> I'll see down the road if we'll fetch them ourselves but at least it
> got us up and running in less than an hour.  It was also easy for us
> to deploy as the routers and the servers are on the same PoP directly
> connected, so we don't need the whole encryption recipe they provide
> for mass distribution.

yeah, that is true!

> But I also have a question for all the ROA folks out there.  So far we
> are not taking any action other than lowering the local-pref - we want
> to make sure this is stable before we start denying prefixes.  So the
> question, is it safe as of this date to : 1.Accept valid, 2. Accept
> unknown, 3. Reject invalid?  Have any large network who implemented it
> dealt with unreachable destinations?  I'm wondering as I haven't found
> any blog mentioning anything in this regard and ClouFlare docs only
> shows example for valid and invalid, but nothing for unknown.

I believe at this point in time it is safe to accept valid and unknown
(combined with an IRR filter), and reject RPKI invalid BGP announcements
at your EBGP borders. Large examples of other organisations who already
are rejecting invalid announcements are AT&T, Nordunet, DE-CIX, YYCIX,
XS4ALL, MSK-IX, INEX, France-IX, Seacomm, Workonline, KPN International,
and hundreds of others.

You can run an analysis yourself to see how traffic would be impacted in
your network using pmacct or Kentik, see this post for more info:
https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2019-February/099522.html

> My assumption is that 1.Accept valid, 2. Accept unknown, 3. Reject
> invalid shouldn't break anything.

Correct! Let us know how it went :-)

Kind regards,

Job