Effects of Cold Front on Internet Infrastructure - U.S. Midwest

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Jan 31 18:26:27 UTC 2019

Fletcher,

I don’t think that’s true. I find no specs on fiber dB loss being a function of ambient temperature. I do find fiber optic application data sheets for extreme temperature applications of -500F and +500F (spacecraft). You’d think if temperature affected fiber transmission characteristics, they’d see it in space.

What you likely were seeing was connector loss, owing either to improper installation, incorrect materials, or unheated regen enclosures.

Insertion loss (IL) failures, for instance, in the cold are a direct result of cable termination component shrinkage. That’s why regen and patch enclosures need to be heated as well as cooled.

All fiber termination components have stated temperature limits. As temperatures approach -40F, the thermoplastic components in a cable's breakout, jacketing, and fiber fanout sections shrink more than the optical glass. Ruggedized connectors help somewhat, but the rule is that you can’t let optical connectors and assemblies get really cold (or really hot).

A typical spec for a single-mode OSP connector is:

Operating -30C (-22F) to +60C (+140F)

The range for the corresponding Single Mode fiber is:

Operating -55C (-67F) to +70C (+158F)
Storage -60C (-76F) to +70C (+158F)
Installation -30C (-22F) to +50C (+122F)

All professional outside plant engineers know these requirements. So if you’re seeing failures, somebody is breaking a rule.

 -mel