Calling LinkedIn, Amazon and Akamai @ DE-CIX NY

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 31 17:00:48 UTC 2019

> On Jan 30, 2019, at 17:32 , valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 23:55:40 +0000, "i3D.net - Martijn Schmidt" said:
>
>> Here: all networks that didn't already change their peering IP are not
>> yet connected to the updated route-server. Some networks are not
>> connected to any route-server. Therefore, those networks did not yet
>> change their peering IP.
>>
>> I think you can see what's wrong with that statement.. it does not
>> follow. That has nothing to do with peering department resources, but
>> everything to do with the chosen peering strategy.
>
> Under what conditions would somebody be present at the exchange and
> not talking to the route server *at all* before the IP change?

Route servers are a double-edged sword for many networks.

There are a number of reasons that one might choose not to peer with route servers at an exchange point, even if you are willing to peer with every single individual peer at the exchange.

It would be difficult for me to go into specific details without violating NDAs from former employers, but it really doesn’t take all that much imagination.

Consider the following questions:

	1.	What information does one get from a direct peering that is removed by a route server?
	2.	How does the AS PATH change if you are peering with a route server?
	3.	What tools are available for measuring results of individual peering sessions vs. sorting out individual
		next-hops learned from a common peering session?

Owen