DNS Flag Day, Friday, Feb 1st, 2019

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Thu Jan 31 01:22:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 4:12 PM Brian Kantor <Brian at ampr.org> wrote:

> Quoting from the web site at https://dnsflagday.net/

[...]

>   The current DNS is unnecessarily slow and suffers from inability
>   to deploy new features. To remediate these problems, vendors of
>   DNS software and also big public DNS providers are going to
>   remove certain workarounds on February 1st, 2019.

I would like to note that there is an entire
segment of the population that does not
interact with technology between sundown
on Friday, all the way through Sunday
morning.

Choosing Friday as a day to carry out an
operational change of this sort does not
seem to have given thought that if things
break, there is a possibility they will have
to stay broken for at least a full day before
the right people can be engaged to work on
the issue.

In the future, can we try to schedule such events
with more consideration on which day the change
will take place?

I will also note that this weekend is the Superbowl
in the US; one of the bigger advertising events of the
year.  Potentially breaking advertising systems that
rely on DNS two days before a major, once-a-year
advertising event is *also* somewhat inconsiderate.

While I understand that no day will work for everyone,
and at some point you just have to pick a day and go
for it, I will note that picking the Friday before the
Superbowl does seem like a very unfortunate random
pick for a day on which to do it.

Any chance this could wait until say the Tuesday
*after* the Superbowl, when we aren't cutting an
entire religion's worth of potential workers out of
the workforce available to fix issues in case it
turns out to be a bigger problem than is expected,
and when we have less chance of annoying the
vast army of football-loving fans of every sort?

Thanks!

Matt