Effects of Cold Front on Internet Infrastructure - U.S. Midwest

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed Jan 30 17:09:29 UTC 2019

To be fair, reporting the the wind chill factor is very meaningful for
health and safety reasons almost everywhere so proper warning is given
about people spending time outside. Minneapolis, and the bigger Canadian
cities have those inside walkways and pedestrian pathways, but they're not
that common elsewhere. I don't think Chicago does for example, and we don't
have that here in Buffalo. Contrary to the rumors, 0F with -40F wind chills
are NOT very common around here.

People need to be warned to take this weather seriously. You might be used
to it, but not everyone in a native that can say that.

To the 'infrastructure' question, I think the biggest concerns would be
power related. Although we have a DC in Buffalo that is cooled on ambient
outside air that has the opposite problem ; it's TOO cold at the moment, so
we are cycling most of the hot server exhaust back into the computer rooms
to maintain temperatures.