Effects of Cold Front on Internet Infrastructure - U.S. Midwest

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Jan 30 17:04:54 UTC 2019

The main issue is infrastructure like power, cable damage, and heating/cooling systems.

Power lines tend to go down because anything weak becomes brittle and any accident involving a pole tends to cause them to break rather than absorb impact.  Also, conduits and manholes that normally might be above freezing underground can have standing water freeze breaking splice cases and such.

Large chiller plants need to be run at higher temperatures and speeds to keep any outdoor components from freezing up.

Of course, repairs on anything outdoors tend to take a lot longer to resolve.  Anything that requires digging might be near impossible in these conditions.

So far though in my area (Chicago) my carriers AT&T, Comcast, Cogent, and Level 3 all seem to be fine so far.  Our current temp is -18.  Wind chill reports at -50 to -60 depending where you are.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL