[ROUTING] Settle a pointless debate - more commonly used routing protocol in total deployments - OSPF vs IS-IS

Steven Bahnsen sbahnsen20 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 04:47:40 UTC 2019

Hi,

First time poster looking for some input on a debate and I apologise if I've
done this completely wrong, but I don't think my colleague will be convinced
until he hears it from this community.

Granted I'm relatively green when it comes to networking, but it was my
understand that other than BGP, the most widely used/implemented IGP  would
be
OSPF. However, my colleague insists that I'm 100 percent wrong and that is
IS-IS.

I want to be clear, I'm not debating which protocol is better or worse, as
they
both have their strengths and weaknesses and ultimately it comes down to
several
factors based on a particular use-case on which routing protocol is the
best way
forward for a network.

However in saying that, I believe that, when it comes to sheer numbers of
where
an IGP is implemented, OSPF is far more widely used in the world today,
whether
it be in small to medium to large businesses, Enterprise networks and even
Service Provider networks (where as per my understanding, is where IS-IS
really
shines)

I understand that this isn't really quantifiable, but I would like to get
the
opinions/experiences from this list and see what the outcome of this
question is
out of sheer curiosity.

Thanks!

Steve