BGP Experiment

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 24 16:27:57 UTC 2019

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 17:52, <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:

> This actually makes me thing that it might be worthwhile including these
> types of test to the regression testing suite.

I seem to recall one newish entrant to SP market explaining that they
are limited by wall-time in blackbox testing. They would have no
particularly challenge testing everything, but the amount of
permutations and wall-time to execute single test simply makes it
impossible to test comprehensively. So if you can't test everything,
what do you test? How do you predict what is more likely to be broken?

Focus on MTBF is fools errant, maybe someone like FB, AMZN, MSFT can
do statistical analysis on outcome of change, rest of us are just
guessing what we did increased MTBF, we don't have enough failures to
actually know.
Focus should be on MTTR.

There are some commercial BGP fuzzers, I've only tested one of them:
https://www.synopsys.com/software-integrity/security-testing/fuzz-testing/defensics/protocols/bgp4-server.html

--
  ++ytti