Cloud networking technologies landscape

Rich Edwards tailsnpipes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:07:08 UTC 2019

Hi experts,

I'd appreciate some help on my research in networking technologies that
public cloud providers are using today and maybe in the future too.

What I can see today is more or less a mix of classic SP/DC
routing/switching technologies like BGP, MPLS, SR, EVPN, RIFT, Open Fabric,
SFC, GBP.

Minor stuff is happening in the application/networking orchestration space
'services to services' mesh, Application based routing/Load balancing/ADC.

Maybe some clouds are trying to make sense out of disaggregation,
whiteboxes and their stack, specially for the data plane components
(IOVisor, FD.IO <http://fd.io/>, vRouter, OVS...etc).

There are also some zero touch provisioning/automation/modeling work
(Netconf, YANG, ZTP, iPXE...etc).

Lastly, (gRPC, gRIBI, gNPI...etc) and provider specific one (RIB and FIB
APIs).

Am i missing anything obvious from this landscape ?

It'd be great if someone can directly message me to have a short
conversation.

Best regards,
Jason