IPv6 NAT64

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Jan 23 21:21:44 UTC 2019

On 1/23/19 4:06 PM, Art Stephens wrote:
> I know this might be off topic but hopefully not too far off.
> I heard rumors that there are ISPs out there running IPv6 only
> networks where the clients can still get to the IPv4 world without the
> $30,000 plus dollar expense of buying a NAT64 appliance to service
> 4,000 plus customers.
> Anyone have some insight into this?

Look into stateless transition mechanisms like LW4o6 or MAP.  You can
push a few 10s of Gbps through a relatively modest PC with these and the
right software.

Eventually somebody will hopefully add them to the relevant router
software.  Since they're stateless, most of the common "match and
manipulate" type packet pusher ASICs can presumably do it.  It's not
much different than an IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel or MPLS switching in that
respect.
--
Brandon Martin