BGP Experiment

James Jun james.jun at towardex.com
Wed Jan 23 19:01:46 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 06:45:50PM +0000, Nikolas Geyer wrote:
> Throwing my support behind continuing the experiment also. A singular complaint from a company advertising unallocated ASN and IPv4 resources (the irony) does not warrant cessation of the experiment.

Agreed;  Please resume the experiment.  We're all operators here, and we MUST have confidence
that BGP speakers on our network are compliant with protocol specification.  Experiments like
this are opportunities for a real-life validation of how our devices handle messages that are
out of the norm, and help us identify issues.

Kudos to researchers by the way, for sending courtesy announcements in advance, and testing
against some common platforms available to them (Cisco, Quagga & BIRD) prior to the experiment.

James