Contact for BART

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Jan 20 18:38:34 UTC 2019

> On Jan 20, 2019, at 01:52 , Scott Christopher <sc at ottie.org> wrote:
>
> No :)

Huh?

> BART is Bay Area Rapid Transit, a public transportation system with its own bureaucracy and publicly elected board.
>
> Caltrans is a separate State bureaucracy, though it has a big office in the city of Oakland near BART Headquarters.

I’m quite aware of this. If you’ll note, the thing I was replying to said he was ALSO looking for a good contact within CALDOT.

I was pointing out that CALDOT doesn’t call itself CALDOT, but refers to itself as CalTrans.

> And then there is Caltrain which is the commuter rail that runs down the peninsula. That organization has its own bureaucracy and board, too.

Sure, but I’m not sure how that suddenly became relevant to the conversation.

> Lesson to be learned: don't use obscure acronyms unknown outside a small geographical region :)

Well, I think calling any of the above terms “obscure” is a bit of a stretch. I would agree that they are not widely known outside of California and that the level of common knowledge may decrease with distance from the immediate SF Bay Area. However, referring to them as obscure when I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who has ever spent more than 2 weeks i the bay area that isn’t familiar with them seems a bit of an exaggeration.

Owen