Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform

Philip Loenneker Philip.Loenneker at tasmanet.com.au
Thu Jan 17 23:07:04 UTC 2019

Connor,

If you use the Traffic Generator tool instead of the Bandwidth Test tool built into MikroTik, you can definitely flood a 1Gbps link. However it requires the device to receive the packets that it has sent out, so it’s only viable for links with the same up/down speed.

We have been investigating some TR-069 platforms, and several of those offer speed test functionality built in. This means our helpdesk guys can just click a few buttons to trigger it, it only talks to the CPE (nothing on customer LAN), and people don’t need to know how to configure the test other than “click here”. TR-069 also has a lot of other advantages which you can easily discover with a quick search.

Regards,
Philip Loenneker | Network Engineer | TasmaNet