Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Thu Jan 17 19:02:04 UTC 2019

Zach Puls wrote on 1/16/2019 1:53 PM:

> Maybe try setting up an Ookla on-site speedtest server? I believe the
> product is called Speedtest Custom. Setup is pretty simple, and is
> relatively inexpensive.
>
> That gives you the ease-of-use of speedtest.net, with the accuracy
> similar to having a local iperf server.
>
> *Zach Puls*
>
> /Network Engineer /
>
> /MEF-CECP/
>
> Title: KsFiberNet - Description: Macintosh
> HD:Users:chunt:Documents:Logos_Brand
> Guide_KFN:WEB_logos:KFN_logo-WEB.png <http://www.ksfiber.net/>**
>
> Direct: +1 (316) 221-2094
>
> Email: zpuls at ksfiber.net <mailto:zpuls at ksfiber.net>
>
> *Technical Support:  855-KFN-HELP (536-4357) *
>
> /This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended only for the
> person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any review,
> retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information,
> directly or indirectly, by persons or entities other than the intended
> recipient is prohibited and may subject you to legal liability. If you
> material from all computers in which it resides. This email, including
> any attachments, is not intended to constitute the formation of a
> contract binding KsFiberNet. KsFiberNet will be contractually bound
> only upon execution, by an authorized representative, of a definitive
> agreement containing agreed upon terms and conditions./

Last time I checked, the Ookla Speedtest Custom software license
required for a local server installation (e.g. not using the public
speedtest servers) started at ~$2k/year. That does not include the
speedtest server hardware which may run you another $2k or more if you
want to meet the minimum recommended specs for a gigabit speedtest.
Perhaps an initial investment of $4k and a reoccurring $2k/year is
inexpensive for some, but I can imagine some folks will struggle to find
the value at that price point.

--Blake