Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform

tgrand tgrand at tgrand.com
Thu Jan 17 14:04:17 UTC 2019

Just download the btest.exeIt run on windows PC.Most routerboards not fast enough for TCP test as TCP packet assembly is intensive.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> Date: 2019-01-17  7:17 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> Cc: NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> Subject: Re: Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform
All, thanks for the recommendations both on and off list.

It has been brought to my attention that a Mikrotik has a bandwidth speed test tool built into their operating system. Someone recommended a https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2 for MSRP of $69. The release notes of the newest version say:
!) speedtest - added "/tool speed-test" for ping latency, jitter, loss and TCP and UDP download, upload speed measurements (CLI only);
*) btest - added multithreading support for both UDP and TCP tests;
Do you think this device can push a full 1Gbps connection? It does have a quad core qualcom processor.
Besides mikrotik, I haven't found anything that doesn't require me to build a solution. Like OpenWRT with ipef3, or something like that.
Seems like a commercial solution would exist for this.  I though CAF providers have to test bandwidth for the FCC randomly to get funding?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 2:59 AM James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 16:54, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:

> As an internet service provider with many small business and residential customers, our most common tech support calls are speed related. Customers complaining on slow speeds, slowdowns, etc.

> We have a SNMP and ping monitoring platform today, but that mainly tells us up-time and if data is flowing across the interface. We can of course see the link speed, but customer call in saying the are not getting that speed.

> We are looking for a way to remotely test customers internet connections besides telling the customer to go to speedtest.net, or worse sending a tech out with a laptop to do the same thing.

> What opensource and commercial options are out there?

Hi Colton,

In the past I have used CPEs which support remote loopback. When the

customer complains we enable remote loopback, send the traffic to that

customers connection (rather than requiring a CPE that can generate

the traffic or having an on site device) and measuring what comes

back.

Cheers,

James.