Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 08:59:30 UTC 2019

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 16:54, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:

> As an internet service provider with many small business and residential customers, our most common tech support calls are speed related. Customers complaining on slow speeds, slowdowns, etc.
>
> We have a SNMP and ping monitoring platform today, but that mainly tells us up-time and if data is flowing across the interface. We can of course see the link speed, but customer call in saying the are not getting that speed.
>
> We are looking for a way to remotely test customers internet connections besides telling the customer to go to speedtest.net, or worse sending a tech out with a laptop to do the same thing.
>
> What opensource and commercial options are out there?

Hi Colton,

In the past I have used CPEs which support remote loopback. When the
customer complains we enable remote loopback, send the traffic to that
customers connection (rather than requiring a CPE that can generate
the traffic or having an on site device) and measuring what comes
back.

Cheers,
James.