Your opinion on network analysis in the presence of uncertain events

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Wed Jan 16 20:43:36 UTC 2019

My understanding was that the tool will combine historic data with the MTBF datapoints form all components involved in a given link in order to try and estimate a likelihood of a link failure.

Heck I imagine if one would stream a heap load of data at a ML algorithm it might draw some very interesting conclusions indeed -i.e. draw unforeseen patterns across huge datasets while trying to understand the overall system (network) behaviour. Such a tool might teach us something new about our networks.

Next level would be recommendations on how to best address some of the potential pitfalls it found.

Maybe in closed systems like IP networks, with use of streaming telemetry from SFPs/NPUs/LC-CPUs/Protocols/etc.., we’ll be able to feed the analytics tool with enough data to allow it to make fairly accurate predictions (i.e. unlike in weather or markets prediction tools where the datasets (or search space -as not all attributes are equally relevant) is virtually endless).

adam