ASNs decimation in ZW this morning

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Wed Jan 16 17:49:23 UTC 2019

Im confused as to what exactly happened and how it was implemented. I
assume the government wanted to restrict access to sites like whatsapp,
facebook, twitter, etc.,. So did they tell national ISPs/Mobile
(strong-arm) to simply block access to those sites, or they did they
tell them to completely shutdown and go dark until the protests were
over. Im just curious as to how an ISP/Mobile would selectively block
access under government influence, reason being... understanding how can
help us think of ways to get around it.

For example, lets say the mobile networks null routed all traffic
destined to twitter and facebook networks... not a complete IP shutdown.
So a local citizen is using email from a local provider (non-gmail,
etc.,.) and still has access to email, Twitter knows they are blocked in
ZW, but they still try to email updates to this example citizen. If
their networks are being null routed, they can simply deliver the email
via an alternate network/platform.

The whole thing is very disturbing, I mean this is 2019 right? Not 1984...

-John