Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform

J. Hellenthal jhellenthal at dataix.net
Wed Jan 16 17:32:59 UTC 2019

Might be worth while to get some graphing on customers max transmission speeds over the period of three days, a week, two weeks, month to better predict what they may be seeing so you can better predict the area’s that could be effected due to whatever causes.

A lot of times I find this comes down to name resolution as where to the customer it looks slow but is more likely being drowned out by other traffic or slow responses from the name servers them self that traverse <yournet>. But those are just common causes. Prioritizing traffic will greatly depend on the information you are seeing and a root cause will greatly evade you just doing speed tests.

MRTG, rrdtool and some others can accomplish this for you.

Good luck

> On Jan 16, 2019, at 10:52, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As an internet service provider with many small business and residential customers, our most common tech support calls are speed related. Customers complaining on slow speeds, slowdowns, etc.
>
> We have a SNMP and ping monitoring platform today, but that mainly tells us up-time and if data is flowing across the interface. We can of course see the link speed, but customer call in saying the are not getting that speed.
>
> We are looking for a way to remotely test customers internet connections besides telling the customer to go to speedtest.net, or worse sending a tech out with a laptop to do the same thing.
>
> What opensource and commercial options are out there?

—

J. Hellenthal

The fact that there's a highway to Hell but only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic volume.