Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 16:52:58 UTC 2019

As an internet service provider with many small business and residential
customers, our most common tech support calls are speed related. Customers
complaining on slow speeds, slowdowns, etc.

We have a SNMP and ping monitoring platform today, but that mainly tells us
up-time and if data is flowing across the interface. We can of course see
the link speed, but customer call in saying the are not getting that speed.

We are looking for a way to remotely test customers internet connections
besides telling the customer to go to speedtest.net, or worse sending a
tech out with a laptop to do the same thing.

What opensource and commercial options are out there?