ASNs decimation in ZW this morning

Colin Johnston colinj at gt86car.org.uk
Wed Jan 16 13:54:39 UTC 2019

> On 15 Jan 2019, at 17:03, C. A. Fillekes <cfillekes at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Whole countries falling off the net?  BUT TEH TOP POSTINGS!!!
>
> I'm a little frustrated with the very existence of that thread.
>
> Trying to constructively change the topic to something more interesting lol.
>
> I guess the concerning thing to me is that the whole point of packet switched networks was to provide resilience in the face of e.g. civil disorder.
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM Colin Johnston <colinj at gt86car.org.uk <mailto:colinj at gt86car.org.uk>> wrote:
> sorry top posting,
> yup whatsup doesnt work in harare.
> phone circuits land ok though and checked ok
>
> col
>
> Sent from my iPod
>
> On 15 Jan 2019, at 15:42, C. A. Fillekes <cfillekes at gmail.com <mailto:cfillekes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:34 AM C. A. Fillekes <cfillekes at gmail.com <mailto:cfillekes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> So @meileaben on twitter this morning notes:
>>
>> Many #Zimbabwe <https://twitter.com/hashtag/Zimbabwe?src=hash> Internet routes withdrawn around 9:30 UTC amidst civil unrest in the country. near-realtime on #RIPEstat <https://twitter.com/hashtag/RIPEstat?src=hash> here: https://stat.ripe.net/ZW  <https://t.co/sgJ4O3310z> #OpenNetworkIntelligence <https://twitter.com/hashtag/OpenNetworkIntelligence?src=hash> #ZimbabweShutdown <https://twitter.com/hashtag/ZimbabweShutdown?src=hash>
>>
>> https://twitter.com/meileaben/status/1085118237157851136 <https://twitter.com/meileaben/status/1085118237157851136>
>>
>> wondering if anyone here has additional info on that.  Looing at stat.ripe.net/ZW <http://stat.ripe.net/ZW> now it looks as though one (out of an original 18, current 9) ASN has recovered, but kind of curious as to what exactly happened there.
>>
>> So Bloomberg notes that a number of ISPs were shut down to quell online protest
>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-15/by-killing-the-internet-zimbabwe-kills-commerce-and-the-lights <https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-15/by-killing-the-internet-zimbabwe-kills-commerce-and-the-lights> but are there no work-arounds available, if implemented?

zimbabwe situation link below re telecom problems
https://www.zimbabwesituation.com/news/zimbabwe-telecoms-jammed-after-violent-protests-report/ <https://www.zimbabwesituation.com/news/zimbabwe-telecoms-jammed-after-violent-protests-report/>

I was back in Zim myself last month as well to see family children, internet was working well then inc whats up, mobile and adsl.

I wonder how they block social media sites/whats up, is it null routing on peering cores or filtering since did not see filtering in place from ZIM<>UK last month...

Colin