the e-mail of the future is the e-mail oft the past, was Enough port 26 talk...

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Tue Jan 15 16:22:39 UTC 2019

On 1/15/19 12:19 AM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> And everyone has a gmail account anyway, so why bother with outside
> email?

Two words:  "search warrants."  I'm a US citizen, and I do NOT like the
idea of power-hungry people being able to paw through my mail.  Having
my own mail server, residing in my home, with medium security in place,
gives me peace of mind.

Even innocent people have things they want to hide from casual spying.
THOSE people don't have a need to know.  Period.

Not to mention that I can obey the rule common in Business 101 regarding
mail.  It goes like this:

QUESTION:  You are a medium-sized company.  How do you set up your mail
room to be efficient, and needing only a small staff?

ANSWER: You take out a number of post office boxes, and have each
department use its post office box to receive mail for that department.
 You task one person to stop at the post office to pick up the contents
of the post office box, properly banded.

In short, you let the postal system sort your mail for you.  They are
very good at it, and can even bring automation (that you can't afford)
to speed up the process.

For me, I have a mail server with several dozen inboxes
(Postfix/Dovecot).  Only a couple of those e-mail addresses have been
exposed to the world via mailing lists and USENET.  Thunderbird does a
nice job of presenting this gaggle of inboxes.  And I keep adding
mailboxes as the need arises.  I can see which inboxes has incoming
mail, and selectively look at each one as time permits.  Yes, I see all
the incoming spam that makes it through the DNSBLs, but I can ignore the
spam-catchers when I have better things to do.