Tools for streaming analysis

Ben Logan benlogan at myriverstreet.net
Sun Jan 13 18:48:09 UTC 2019

Hey folks,

Just wondered what others are using for traffic analysis, particularly for
identifying the amount of streaming (audio/video) traffic on your
networks.  I prefer open source, whether free or commercial, but am open to
any good suggestions.

Looked at ntopng and like it ok, but think it could be more flexible.  Like
the idea of pmacctd and friends, but not sure how I'd break down the
streaming traffic with it.  I'm ok with raw data...I can generate the
graphs I want.  I don't like anything with Solarwinds in the title!

Btw, the data will be from a mix of Brocade, Cisco and Juniper routers, so
sflow, netflow and IPFIX may all be used.

Thanks,
Ben