yet another round of SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal [Feedback Request]

Eric Tykwinski eric-list at truenet.com
Sat Jan 12 22:37:02 UTC 2019

In my opinion, the problem isn’t that great.  As others have stated, you can locally enforce only STARTTLS on the receive connector or send connector locally to ensure that only encrypted transmission occurs.  If the MTA doesn’t send/accept STARTTLS send an error message.  That the host name is given, doesn’t really matter as most MiTM will still see IP SRC and IP DST so that’s given that transmission occurred.  DNSSEC already will ensure the same IP, and RPKI can help on BGP hijacks, given this is still an ongoing process.

In my opinion, the major issue is data at rest which would rely on PGP, S/MIME, et al.  Another option would be DMTP, like I emailed off list which encrypts even headers.  My guess though is that if this gains traction, there will be a corresponding law like CALEA for LEO to intercept.

Sincerely,

Eric Tykwinski
TrueNet, Inc.
P: 610-429-8300