SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal [Feedback Request]

Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan giri at dombox.org
Sat Jan 12 16:14:13 UTC 2019

Hi Seth,

My solution is intended for clients. A client should decide whether to
transmit mails in clear text or not.

In other words, the server can accept mails in clear text. The prefix
informs the client, that the server supports TLS.

A client that knows what "starttls-" prefix stands for, would come to know
downgrade attacks if the STARTTLS command not found in EHLO response.

If I force the server to accept only TLS, then that's not backward
compatible.

Thanks

--
Best Regards,