Announcing: "dumpsterfire", the mailing list for IoT security/privacy issues

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Sat Jan 12 06:37:53 UTC 2019

On 1/11/2019 2:50 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:
> On 01/11/2019 12:32 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
>> but if done right, fwiw,, wouldn't that be sent over SMTP using TLS
>> encryption?
>
> Oy vey.  in-flight vs at-rest encryption.  <facepalm>

which is why i said "fwiw", acknowledging upfront that TLS transmission
encryption has a limited scope. I guess you missed that?  But I was
specifically replying to a complaint about passwords being sent in plain
text, and I was suggesting that TLS would solve that problem. At that
point in the discussion, it wasn't a discussion about all things
encryption. ("context" is very helpful - are you still facepalming?)

> On 01/11/2019 12:32 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
>> (but, then again, that ALSO requires a certificate!)
> Let's Encrypt works perfectly fine for that too.  }:-)

Exactly! That was sort of my point too. The person creating that
dumpsterfire list seemed to be trying to avoid having to install a
security certificate, but having that security certificate solves other
problems besides the website getting https, such as enabling TLS, too.
That was my basic point, I was just trying to be less wordy.

--
Rob McEwen, invaluement