SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal [Feedback Request]

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Jan 12 05:07:43 UTC 2019

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 09:45:12 +0530, Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan said:

> But I still want the future of email to adopt Implicit TLS. So someday we
> can kill Opportunistic TLS. I already lost the case for security. So my
> smtps part of the proposal not gonna fly. I'm just here to learn whether
> Implicit TLS can offer anything better than Opportunistic TLS that's worth
> wasting a port.

Well, the summary on the ietf-smtp list was that the new port doesn't actually
buy you anything unless you have DANE, and once you have DANE, the new port
doesn't add anything.

The conclusion is that we should be deploying DANE more rather than burning a
port.

Not sure why you expect to hear much differently from NANOG.