SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal [Feedback Request]

Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan giri at dombox.org
Sat Jan 12 04:15:12 UTC 2019

Hello Mr. Ramasubramanian,

When I originally drafted the SMTPS proposal, I thought those plaint text
part before the STARTTLS command leaks some sensitive info.

e.g. 220 mail.ashleymadison.com AshleyMadison ESMTP Service Ready

Those text will always be transferred in plain text. So I thought Implicit
TLS would prevent leaking that info.

But guys in the IETF mailing list actually showed me a way to get that
info. You just get the IP address from 3 way handshake and do reverse
lookup / Connect to port 26 to fill the rest of the info. So a new port
doesn't offer much security. And I totally I agree with them on that from
my understanding of it.

But I still want the future of email to adopt Implicit TLS. So someday we
can kill Opportunistic TLS. I already lost the case for security. So my
smtps part of the proposal not gonna fly. I'm just here to learn whether
Implicit TLS can offer anything better than Opportunistic TLS that's worth
wasting a port.

Thanks

--
Best Regards,