BGP Experiment

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Jan 8 22:42:35 UTC 2019

> Steve Noble
> Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 6:42 PM
>
> There is no such thing as a fully RFC compliant BGP :

Which RFC do you mean 6286, 6608, 6793, 7606, 7607, 7705 or 8212 when you say fully RFC compliant BGP please?

> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/st
> andards/bgp.html does not list 7606
>
> Cisco Bug: CSCvf06327 - Error Handling for RFC 7606 not implemented for
> NXOS
>
> This is as of today and a 2 second google search.. anyone running code from
> before RFC 7606 (2015) would also not be compliant.

With regards to Revised Error Handling for BGP UPDATE Messages RFC 7606,
My recollection is there was a very long discussion with working code preceding the various drafts as well as the final RFC standard.
Regarding the Juniper case specifically a bit of googling reveals that:
All Junos software releases built on or after 2009-06-29 have been enhanced to be more tolerant of malformed optional, transitive attributes. Releases containing the coding change specifically include: 9.1S2, 9.3R3, 9.6R1 and all subsequent releases (i.e. all releases built after 9.6R1).
-so it's not quite black and white, there will be levels of protection available in current releases (albeit not fully compliant with RFC per se).
Question is whether folks out there have it actually enabled.
Oh and then there are bugs associated with the new feature (like the one in some versions of Junos which ,upon receiving malformed update won't bring the session down but rather the whole rpd if the bgp-error-tolerance feature is enabled )

adam