BGP Experiment

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jan 8 17:16:45 UTC 2019

> On Jan 8, 2019, at 12:06 PM, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>
> On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 17:48:46 +0100, niels=nanog at bakker.net said:
>
>> After seeing this initial result I'm wondering why the researchers
>> couldn't set up their own sandbox first before breaking code on the
>> internet.  I believe FRR is a free download and comes with GNU autoconf.
>
> Perhaps you'd like to supply the researchers (and us) with a *complete*
> list of all BGP-speaking software in use on the Internet? (Personally, I'd
> never heard of FRR before)

Yeah, I think it also gets complicated as some of us also have our own internal BGP speakers as well.  Taking MRT files from route-views or RIPE RIS and replaying them is certainly helpful to simulate certain events.  I’ve found a lot of interesting “new attribute” experiments when I had a poorly written MRT parser that would trigger periodically when something new hit the internet.

(FRR is descendent of Zebra/Quagga world)

- Jared